Friday, March 5, 2010

Birthstory......

Autumn Grace Burton arrived February 11th at 12:20 pm she weighed 7 lbs 11 oz and 18 1/2 in. long. But the story started 3 days earlier on February 8th....... Monday the 8th I got a phone call from my Mom saying she was not sure if she was going to make it today, due to a horrible snow storm in Wisconsin and all of the planes were grounded, well after a 3 hr delay her plane took off. She made it safely and I picked her up in Palm Springs at about 8pm. I had been having contractions all day, every day since I went of Terbutalin on the 3rd about 20 min apart. Around 10pm or so the contractions were only 8 min apart and I figured I would try to sleep. Well to say the least I did not sleep all night but at about 4 am the contractions stopped. The next day the girls went to school and Craig was off to work. Mom, Zander and I just sat around and relaxed. About 10am the contractions started again and I was feeling very nauseous. Mom told me to go take a bath and relax. Mom and Zander just played, ate lunch and bonded. I got out of the bath and decided to call the hospital to see what they thought I should do because I was still having contractions 8 to 10 min. apart. They wanted me to come in and be monitored. Well, we arrived at the hospital about 2 pm after dropping of Zander with Nick. They hooked me to the monitor (I was dilated to a 2, think and high. At about 4 the contractions were 6 min apart and by 6pm they were alot stronger. They checked me and no progress) and after about 5 hours Dr Kasko decided I needed to stay the night. Autumn's heart rate was dropping a little after each contraction. Also they did not do the routine strep test in the office so I had to be treated for it in case I had it. So Karissa my nurse started an iv and antibiotics. They moved me from triage to a labor room. My mom stayed with me and Craig stayed with the kids. I slept really good and my contractions stopped for the night. But my nurse Becky came in and made me move because when I laid on my left side Autumn's heart rate went down. At 6am they woke me up and checked me and I was dialated to a 3 but still thick and high. My nurse for the day was Kristi and she had a student nurse with her Rebecca, they were my nurses when I delivered also. Pastor and Priscilla came in, in the morning and prayed for me and Autumn. Craig went to work and we told him we would call if something was happening. Dr. Kasko came in at about 8:30 am and started pitocin. I did not progress all day and was having contractions about 2 min apart. At 5pm Dr. Kasko came in, checked me and told them to stop pitocin, a steak dinner and a sleeping pill, lol. My mom stayed with me again after Craig went home to be with the kids again. While Craig came to see me we went for a walk for an hour around the hospital, which was so nice to be out of bed. I slept amazing but woke up at 3 am and my throat fet funny. I was having an allergic reaction to the antibiotics. They gave me benadril and was able to sleep good the rest of the night until they woke me at 6am on the 11th of February and started me on pitocin again. I texted Craig about 7 am and told him I thought he should come. Priscilla got there about 8 am and my mom had ran down town and came back about the same time. At 8:30am Dr Kasko came in and checked me and broke my water without warning. Not much water came out and he said she was coming one way or another today. My mom called Craig and told him the Dr broke my water. He said he was on his way. Right after he got there about 9 am or so I got an epidural. I was able to relax after that and really was not feeling the contractions. At 11:46 am I was 5 cm and 80% effaced, at 12:05 pm they checked me because I was having pressure and I was 8 cm 90% effaced. Then at 12:13 pm they checked me again and I was complete. I asked the nurses if Dr Kasko was called and they said he was at the desk. They started getting everything ready and said I could start pushing. I pushed once and then Dr came over and said I need to get her out. I pushed again and then he made me stop and breath through the next one because her heart rate dropped. Kelly walked in as he had me push again and she crowned and he said push hard and get her out and she was out. Autumn had the cord wrapped around her neck. Craig cut the cord and it was amazing to see her for the first time. I was crying and truly was an AMAZING supernatural birth. God is amazing!!! I asked God to have her around noon and look what he did and really with very little pain!! She is so beautiful and now if you are still reading this you are amazing, lol!!! Now 3 weeks later, I look back and see God's hand in every moment!! Thank you God for your gift of life.

3 comments:

Dorcas said...

Well girl you have me crying! Thank you so much for sharing. What God does is truly amazing!

Cat James said...

Cristi, I'm so impressed you waited so long to get an epidural. It is so scary when they have the cord wrapped around the neck, Jasper did too. It's nice you have this written down before long you won't be able to remember the details (as you know). Thanks for sharing.
PS Your mom is great!

Cristi said...

I am so glad I have this blog I can post it on, so I can keep it forever. I am also so blessed because my mom wrote down every detail and journaled it while I was in labor and the 7 days I was in the hospital. She is Amazing and helped us so much!!! I miss her so much though, he company and her help. She is WONDERFUL!!!
I actually Cat really did not even feel I needed an epidural when I got one but I got one because I new it would go fast since he broke my water and if I did not get one then, I would have not gotten one.
It truly was AMAZING!!